- Kindly brief us about your journey as an author
Between 2010 and 2021 I have published seven Literary works, which have gone into becoming critically acclaimed bestsellers, and one Technical book, which has been translated into eight major European languages. I will give you a brief outline of my books, which is given below: –
- Literary Publication
Pentacles comprises one long story and four short poems by Sabarna Roy. The work delightfully bridges the gap between the mundane and arcane writings of today and provides an interesting, yet intellectually stimulating, treat for the discerning reader.
- Frosted Glass
Frosted Glass comprises one story cycle consisting of 14 stories and one poem cycle consisting of 21 poems.
Abyss is a full length play in two acts with an interval in between. It is essentially a racy crime thriller full of gritty suspense.
- Winter Poems
The poems contained in this collection, Winter Poems, by Sabarna Roy were inspired by the relatively mild season that prevails in Kolkata following the season of festivities, the Durga and Kali Puja, and portray myriad shades of human life.
- Random Subterranean Mosaic 2012 – 2018
Roy’s Frosted Glass did very well in the market. His Pentacles and Winter Poems, did so well that Amazon Audible converted them into Audio books by the Australian young jazz singer, Colin Newcomer. Abyss was on the bestseller list at the Oxford Bookstore at the Kolkata Book Fair in 2014.
Random Subterranean Mosaic: 2012–2018 is a kaleidoscope of random, yet mysteriously structured to a pattern, fiction, semi-autobiographical, and autobiographical pieces, covering poems, short-shorts, opinions, observations, and conversations.
- Etchings of the First Quarter of 2020
Etchings of the First Quarter of 2020 comprises a novella and a poem cycle.
- Fractured Mosaic
Fractured Mosaic is in essence a sequel to his fifth literary work, titled: Random Subterranean Mosaic: 2012 – 2018. It is yet another kaleidoscope from his arsenal that will take the readers to a mesmerizing whirlpool.
- Technical Publication
Articles on Ductile Iron Pipelines and Framework Agreement Methodology (ISBN: 978-613-8-91928-5) authored by Sabarna Roy, Rajat Chowdhury and Basanta Bera and published by Scholars’ Press, Stabu Street 15-141, Riga, LV-1010 Latvia, European Union.
The books attempts to elaborate the use of Ductile Iron Pipelines in Irrigation application, Gravity Sewer application, Wet Ash Slurry application, Restrained Joint application and use in Steep incline and Hilly terrain, Life Cycle Cost Analysis between various kinds of pipe materials, Feasibility of Recycled Waste Water for Irrigation, a deliberation on Framework Agreement Procurement Methodology and Emerging Challenges in Pipe Distribution Network based Irrigation Projects.
I used to write Bengali and English poems during my university days. In fact, my first slim book of English poems, titled: Pain was published in 1986 and created a sensation in the student community and the literary academia of Calcutta. Thereafter, I stopped writing after joining the Corporate Sector. Between 2002 and 2005, I had been an oral storyteller. It was in July 2007 that I realized that if I did not write I would die. It was then that I started writing seriously.
- Congratulations on your 7th book, Fractured Mosaic, and for all the lovely reviews! How are you feeling?
Ans: I am happy.
- Is it a sequel of any of your previous publications?
Ans: Fractured Mosaic is a sequel to my fifth book, Random Subterranean Mosaic: 2012 – 2018.
- You are a Civil Engineer and a much-celebrated author. Both are quite time demanding roles. How do you balance the two?
Ans: I have been interested in interdisciplinary learning since my early childhood. That was the kind of training inside my family. So engineering studies did not stop me from reading literature, history, or other social sciences. Today, I juggle between two professions of being a Senior Engineering Professional and an Author seamlessly. It could not have been possible without the support of my employers and my family. If you have the right kind of passion, you will find time. Otherwise, not!
- Your recent 2 books are mostly journal writings turned into book. How do you tell the readers or aspiring writers to inculcate this habit of journaling or diary writing?
Ans: I can give a few tips, which can work remarkably well for aspiring authors and poets: –
- Maintain a journal or a diary for yourself. This is a tool where you can talk to yourself most privately, and later your journal or your diary will reflect back the way you have progressed in life.
- Read as much as you can and reflect upon what you are reading. Also, jot down your book reviews, however brief they are, in your journal or diary.
- Capture all your thoughts, ideas, and dreams and let them flow through you in the form of written pieces in your journal or diary.
- If you are inclined enough, create and maintain a regular blog and socialize it among your friends, family, and relatives and seek their opinion about what you are writing. This is a process from where you will learn.
- Try to be original and authentic, however immature you are, because in being close to yourself, you will reconnect with your soul during the process of writing. This is very critical and significant to become a good author or a poet.
- We heard that you have received many awards. How does it feel?
Ans: It feels a good to be honoured, to be appreciated by institutes of repute.
I have been awarded the Literoma Laureate Award in 2019, Literoma Star Achiever Award 2020, Random Subterranean Mosaic: 2012 – 2018 won the best book of the year 2019, the A List Award for excellence in fiction by the NewsX Media House, Certificate for The Real Super Heroes for spreading a spirit of positivity and hope during the COVID-19 Pandemic from Forever Star India Award 2020, and the Certificate for Participation in the Indo Russian Friendship Celebration 2020, the Literoma Golden Star Award 2020: Lifetime Achievement, and the Certificate of Appreciation for featuring in the Hall of Fame of Literoma International Symposium on Literature & Festival 2020, and the Times Eminent Writer of the Year award by The Times of India Group in Kolkata in February 2021.
I am one of the winners of the Champions of Change 2020 Award given out by Interactive Forum on Indian Economy supported by Government of India.