Head to Quora, and you will find countless questions on ‘how to survive in the music industry?
For starters, you need a thick skin, an iron will, and heaps of talent. Some talented artists pave their own path while others wait for an opportunity. The music industry has plenty of jobs, but that does not mean you are ready for it.
Different jobs require a set of skills. Let’s take the example of a management team member. You need to have the skill to protect the artists and the intellectual property.
Before you become the greatest music producer, you have to say YES to the smallest gigs to get bigger offers.
The question is – What does it take to make it in the music industry? Yes, it is competitive and will require a lot of hard work. But, there are some truths we would like to reveal in this article.
How Musicians Break Into The Competitive Industry
- You have got a wonderful voice, but you need to master it to sell it to the world. Whether it is playing an instrument, singing, rapping, or songwriting – spend lots of time mastering your craft. Don’t record a song until you have practiced your art over and over again. You can do live shows and study the existing singers and musicians. After you get professional feedback, you can move towards the next step.
- The next thing you need to focus on is the message you want to convey to the world. It is a great idea to sing for yourself, but you want the audience to connect with you. Meaningless lyrics don’t pierce hearts, but talent with a message becomes a legend.
- Now that you have full conviction find a good music producer who would help you record your song. Rob Milton from Easy Life produced Tayo Sound’s song. Tayo has just entered the music industry, but he found a good music producer. If you are a songwriter and a singer – you would not need a professional songwriter’s aid.
- There are many ways to promote your talent. Youtube has given everyone a platform to showcase their musical skills. Social media platforms are accessible to everyone so that anyone can build a fan base. But, the most lucrative step is to reach out to a music and entertainment manager. Some companies would be happy to promote your music and manage your work. Calvin Harris and Frank Ocean had Mark Gillespie as their guiding force and music manager. Similarly, you also need an agent who would help your talent get recognized by the world. You should be focusing on creating music!
- Build connections in the industry. It will be helpful in the long run as you will be working with different songwriters, music producers, vocalists, and directors. Attend musical events, open mics, conferences, or anywhere you can build new connections. Once again, having a business manager by your side can be a blessing if you are a beginner in the industry.
Quick Tips For Aspiring Music Executives
If you want to work behind the scenes, there are many jobs in the music industry. For starters, you would need to research what you want to do.
Once you have figured out what you want to do, gain experience in that particular field. Do internships, learn from experts, and build your contact list.
Networking, gaining experience, and applying for all posts are some of the actions that will help you reach your goal.
The music industry is thriving. If you have the talent, work towards perfecting it. You need to have perseverance and iron will to survive (and thrive) in this industry.
So, don’t give up. The greatest artists became legends after a considerable amount of time. Nobody became the greatest producer or singer overnight. Work towards it, and don’t lose hope.
If you follow the tips mentioned above, you’ll be unstoppable!
This is a Contributor Post. Opinions expressed here are opinions of the Contributor. Influencive does not endorse or review brands mentioned; does not and cannot investigate relationships with brands, products, and people mentioned and is up to the Contributor to disclose. Contributors, amongst other accounts and articles may be professional fee-based.