Not everyone is lucky enough to get a job of their choice, or even get a job at all. In a country like India, where the population is growing many times in comparison to the job opportunities, having a job is an achievement. Take pride in that, be thankful.
Master blaster Sachin Tendulkar once told the famous cricketer Yuvraj Singh that the bat that he broke in frustration helps them feed their family. It helps them earn their bread and butter. Respect that.
Similarly, there comes a time in everyone’s life when you hate your job, hate your boss and just want to quit.
Sure, you can quit your job when the going gets tough, but it’s hard to do that gracefully. And, is there any certainty that you will get your dream job or you won’t start hating your next job as well or your start up will do great?
Instead, here is how to handle a difficult work situation:
- Talk to your boss about your problems. Try to understand his perspective as well, you might feel inspired. A good boss would never force you to work late. A person who works late at the office is not necessarily perceived as a hard working person.
- Work is a never ending process. Always take out time for your family because if you ever fall in your life neither your boss nor your clients will offer you a helping hand but your family will.
- Work efficiently. Leave the office on time. Take out time for what you like. Have a good social life. Don’t always live to impress your boss. Be practical. “Love your job but don’t love your company because you may not know when your company stops loving you.”- APJ Abdul Kalam.
- Always set your own goals that are within your control. You were not born to compete or feel jealous about other’s success. You don’t live to impress your co-workers or your boss. Be competent but don’t be a fool. You did not study hard and struggle in life to become a machine.
- Be innovative. Everyone appreciates creativity. Coming up with an idea that would not only benefit you but the company as well, would be highly appreciated.
- Talk to your co-workers about their life and work instead of always bitching about your boss. Come up with solutions.
- Take short breaks. Having a nap in your office, hitting the gym, playing table tennis, regular group discussions, all this will make you feel rejuvenated.
Work is an endless process. It is not your complete life. In order to be irreplaceable, you need to be different and different people are not the ones who do different things but the ones who do the same things differently and more efficiently.
Life is not only about work, office, and clients. There is a lot more to life. Socialize, make friends, not contacts, entertain yourself, exercise and relax a little. Don’t make your life so meaningless, make it worth living.Opinions expressed here by Contributors are their own.