Heyy!! Gamers, are you planning to showcase your gaming talent to the world? If yes, then what platform would be more appropriate than the Discord application. It doesn’t matter if you are new to the concept here, we are with the guide on What is discord and how to use it?
Discord is one of the best social media apps that was released almost six years ago in the year 2015. Well, if you think that discord application can only be used to stream online games then you are wrong. You can also use discord to stream Netflix and watch it with your friends. Other than casting Netflix on discord you can also use discord for free voice, text, and video chatting.
Well in answer to the question, What is discord? Discord is an instant messaging, digital distribution, and Voice Over Internet Protocol platform that is designed to have interaction between the communities and people of the same interests. The users can communicate using voice, video, or text messaging. The application can also be used for online games and video streaming.
This was an introduction to the discord app. Now, we will learn about how to use the discord application.
Discord – The Guide Begins
Further in the article, we have mentioned everything from creating the account to making the servers. We have also mentioned the Discord bots so that you have an idea about them before you start using the application.
How To Get Started With Discord?
Log in to the official discord website or if you are using the mobile phone you can download the app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play store depending on the device you are using.
Now, once you are on the homepage of the Discord application, you have to sign in by creating your username and password. This will create your account on the discord application. Now, whenever you log in to the Discord application either on the browser or phone, or desktop. Remember your username.
Now, what? You have created your Discord account, what to do next?
Discord works on servers. Once you are inside the discord application. You can create your own server and invite people via the invite link or you can join the server of the pre-existing users via their invite link. Well, if you don’t get any invite links either create your own or there are various official free game servers to join.
How to Create A Server on Discord?
Now that you have learned how to create an account on Discord. Let’s have a detailed session on how to create a server on Discord. As we have told you that you have to create a server for making a chat room. Follow the steps given below to create a chat server on Discord.
- Open the Discord Application.
- On the left window pane, you will find the plus sign (+), click on it.
- Now, you will have two options: create a server or join a server. Click on the “Create a Server” option.
- On the next page, you will be asked to create a name for your server. Enter the name and you can select the server region from this page as well.
- After that click on the “Create” button at the bottom of the windows.
- Your chat server has been created.
- You can now send the invite to your friends by sending them the invite link.
- You will get the invite link from the create instant invite option available against the channel name.
Where Can We Use Discord?
You can use discord on windows as well as macOS. You can download the discord application for the desktop PC from Discord’s official website. You can also use the browser version of the discord application but it does not have as many features as the application has.
You can also download the discord app from the Apple app store if you are an iPhone user or Google play store if you are an Android user. The features offered in all the Discord Applications are the same.
In Addition, discord can also be used in the Xbox games and soon you will witness Discord for the PlayStation as well.
Discord Bots – An Introduction
Discord is a huge and engaging social media site. Once you are in the app there is a lot to do and it is sometimes impossible for one human being to manage all the activities. So, discord has the concept of bots. Bots are the AI (Artificial Intelligence) that help the user to manage the tasks going around in its discord account.
You might have many servers, looking after each is not possible manually. Or you are streaming online and chat groups are active. Can you handle both? That is what Bots are for.
Here is the list of the common bots on Discord.
- Moderation Bots: Starting with the Moderation Bots these bots handle the servers. They take care of the spam entries, user banning, and the chat on the servers.
- Translation Bots: Well, if your server is connected worldwide and you have people from all around the globe. Then language can be a barrier in communication. Translation Bots take care of it and translate the message into the native languages.
- Image Bots: These bots will never let your chat room go boring. Image bots keep on posting the memes on the chat server to keep people entertained.
- Music Bots: These bots get the music from youtube and other music sources to the server.
Who Uses The Discord App?
The Discord Application has been rated for the 13+ by the various platforms. So, any person above thirteen years of age can use the app.
Although many people think that discord is only used by gamers to stream online games. But, the fact is, Discord is more than an online game streaming app. It is an all-in-one package social media app that comes with free voice, video, and chat along with the online streaming of games and movies.
Well, this was all about the Discord app. We hope that our guide on “What is Discord” proves to be useful to you. We have mentioned all the basic terms and topics that a beginner should know before joining the discord app. If you still have any queries left, do write to us in the comments section below.